This time of the year creates havoc in workforce absenteeism. The flu, colds and general sickness put a tremendous burden on the employees that have to pick up the slack. There are ways to encourage great workplace strategies to minimize the spread of sickness in your business.
Simple messaging is a great way to reach a diverse group of people. Here’s some of the messaging to consider:
1. Vaccine – Flu vaccines really do work. Even when they are not 100% effective, they will reduce the incidence of flu and minimize the symptoms if you catch the flu.
2. Hand Washing – This simple but overlooked procedure is the number one way to prevent the spread of sickness. Use soap and wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. You can find a quick tutorial on hand washing on our blog.
3. Coughing – Practice the method of coughing into the inside of your elbow. Keep your hands free of coughing and sneezing and dispose of any tissues promptly.
4. Distance – If possible, keep a distance of three feet from a symptomatic individual.
Other practices that make for a healthier workplace include:
1. Use surgical masks or provide surgical masks for your customers if you work in close proximity.
2. Disinfect surfaces such as counters, phones, doorknobs and keyboards.
3. If you’re sick … stay home!