The shift to compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs in the workplace has led to a more durable, efficient alternative to regular incandescent bulbs. While businesses have enjoyed the cost savings associated with the new bulbs, certain risks have increased.
The health hazard associated with the release of mercury vapors may cause nervous system disorders. Recently, OSHA released an informational “Quick Card” to educate workers and employers to the risks of CFL bulbs.
The following steps should be taken to equip your workplace for a potential mercury release:
Safe cleanup of broken CFL bulbs is a serious issue. Precautions should be taken to reduce exposure. For example, you should never use a broom to clean broken bulbs. Whether at home or work, there are strict state and EPA regulations for disposing of CFL bulbs. The risk of mercury vapor inhalation is an important issue. If you have any questions regarding a Mercury Clean-up Plan or any other aspect of treatment of mercury inhalation, please call us at 845.338.5600.