When you’re in your 20’s, the last thing most think about is your health. However, now is the time to lay the groundwork for a long healthy life. Here’s five habits to get you started:
- Know your family’s Health History – You’ve had your parents doing this for you for two decades, it’s time to learn what conditions your parents, grandparents and siblings have experienced in their lives. This can go a long way in providing you a plan for the future.
- Medical Maintenance – Now is the time to find a primary care physician. If you visit Emergency One, we can help you with a list of local primary care physicians. They will monitor your overall health as you age. Don’t worry, if they aren’t open, at Emergency One Urgent Care, we can see you when acute issues like UTI’s or sickness flair up at inconvenient times. We’ll even send you primary doctor discharge notes so that they can continue to follow your long-term health.
- Protect your Skin – Continue to use sunscreen as if your mom is putting it on you at the beach. One of the best ways to keep your skin healthy and slow aging is to use sunscreen daily in the warmer months.
- Eat a Balanced Diet – You might have made it through college on Top Ramen and Mac & Cheese, but now is the time to fill your diet with whole foods. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fresh seafood are great ways to begin to build a healthy diet.
- Develop a Habit of Exercise – Find an activity you love and try for 30 minutes a day at least five times a week. Your body will thank you for it!